[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 09:18:26 EDT 2011

--- On Mon, 4/18/11, Myk Dowling <politas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of my hobby/entertainment choices involve
> "traditional" things.
> Trad folk music, traditional archery, historical
> reenactment, contra
> dancing, ... There are many, many people around the world
> who don't
> consider "traditional" to mean "stuck in the past". The
> past is a rich
> source of human invention and art, well worth learning
> from.

Historical reenactment, I believe, has to be more-or-less a recreation of the past, correct?  How much change is allowed?  Clothing?  Language?  Instruments?  How much new music is created for traditional folk music?

> I have no problem with you choosing to call it "classic" if
> you want,
> but I'm equally happy with "traditional", and I think it's
> a superior
> term. No one ever claimed a new rock song was an "instant
> traditional".

I've heard critics describe some new music as being in the vein of "classic rock".  Can't think of any recently.  "Traditional rock" seems like an oxymoron to me.

Perhaps that's part of the difference in how people think of tango.  To me, change is inevitable.  Tango has changed over the past 100 years, but it still retains certain characteristics, particularly the most important one - being in an embrace with another person.

Trini de Pittsburgh