[Tango-L] Better? Worse? Just different.

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 08:53:17 EDT 2011

On 16/04/11 07:49, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
>   I think part of this fear of extinction by some is how one describes the older style of tango.  I prefer to use the word "classic" instead of "traditional".  "Traditional" connotes something stuck in the past, whereas "classic" connotes something that will never go out of style.  "Classic tango" is phrase we use in my community.
>
> This idea came to me after reading an interview with supermodel Cindy Crawford who described how the word "traditional" was a no-no in the world of fashion.  A little black dress with stiletto heels is classic.  Dressing like Margaret Thatcher is traditional.
Most of my hobby/entertainment choices involve "traditional" things.
Trad folk music, traditional archery, historical reenactment, contra
dancing, ... There are many, many people around the world who don't
consider "traditional" to mean "stuck in the past". The past is a rich
source of human invention and art, well worth learning from.

I have no problem with you choosing to call it "classic" if you want,
but I'm equally happy with "traditional", and I think it's a superior
term. No one ever claimed a new rock song was an "instant traditional".
> Close-embrace tango is not going to go out of style, as long as there are people who enjoy being held by other people.
I agree completely.

Myk,
in Canberra