[Tango-L] tango to rap

Anton Stanley anton at alidas.com.au
Tue Apr 12 14:03:39 EDT 2011

I'm sure I have a video somewhere that shows Fabian Salas demonstrating to a
class how simple tango can be. I found it beautiful as a tango. The thing is
that it's nothing but walking. Put that series of steps to rap and I don't
think I could accept it as tango. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think
there's any reference anywhere that codified any steps in tango. It's
difficult I would imagine, to apply scientific analysis to a subject that
exists only in the imagination of practitioners. That's the only tango
inheritance I believe we have. Like so many of this age, I believe we
devalue much of our past, selectively choosing only the bits we find to our
liking.

Anton