[Tango-L] tango to rap

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 17:09:05 EDT 2011

Hello Trini,

I did receive authorisation to pass on his  email, IMHO.  As someone who
markets themselves as an international professional tango teacher, he did in
a very straight forward manner state where I was "wrong".  I am sure he
would have liked to reply on Tango L but AFAIK he is not a member having
left in disgust a few years ago.  I make no comments about his form of
reply, as I do not understand it myself.

I think you are confusing the ad with the making of the ad video.  To me
there is no connection between the dancers and between them and music in the
ad.  They seem to have choreographed a piece and then inserted the music as
far as I could see.  They could have been just as well been tangoing to a
polka in the end!!

I thought this forum is about the lovers of real Argentine tango and
therefore the vast majority of readers here would like to know what has
happened to their passion in the real world? The people who I said were
liking/not liking the ad I was referring to the comments under the Youtube
posting, not to who like/disliked the ad here on Tango L.  It is merely my
guess that in the main they are not written by Argentine tango dancers.
Personally, I was and still am affronted that tango has to be wrapped up in
rap music to make it palatable to the masses and I dread that we will now
start to hear rap pieces being played at mainstream milongas.  If that
happens, I think I will leaving the dance floor if not the milonga.

Vince
In Melbourne

(Sleepy, after the several unlisted phone calls in a row overnight. So sorry
if the above is not making much sense.)