[Tango-L] Basics - for intermediate/advanced dancers

Diane Sosnoski flame at 2xtreme.net
Tue Sep 21 20:12:44 EDT 2010

My partner and I attended a semi-private with Carlos Rivarola last Friday
and here are some of his insights on how to dance salon (not performance)
tango.

First, most leaders need to rotate the right shoulder back instead of rolling it
forward and into their partner. As a follower, I can say that this makes a
huge difference in the embrace and connection.

Most of us need to be softer, more fluid and snake like while dancing tango.
Sharp hard moves are for performance, not social dancing.

The leader leads the follower, the follower interprets the lead and the leader
pays attention to the followers interpretation.

Followers, don't fall into the step, rise into the step and inspire the leader.

Carlos is an amazing dancer and a beautiful person as well. If you love
salon style, he's the maestro.