[Tango-L] basics

sherpal1@aol.com sherpal1 at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 17:16:06 EDT 2010

Further...re: nuevo...although i like the steps...i find it very boring to watch dancers because there is less interpretation of the music which in itself is quite monontonous, lacking the intricacies of classical, traditional tango music.   I don't know about it being easier to learn, but i do know that students studying nuevo before they have mastered tradtional is a real abortion...Or you have to just concentrate on nuevo, but to study both simultaneously, like what happens here, one class nuevo,one class traditional, and what you get is a fusion mess, since each style requires  different body position and axis principles...the poor students wonder why they do not progress.

Does one have to commit to one style for a period of time before approaching a new style?   In my opinion yes...I do love watching Naviera and Veron who as early as 2003 were incorporating nuevo steps into their close embrace style...just lovely...sherrie