[Tango-L] basics

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 02:51:02 EDT 2010

--- On Sat, 9/18/10, sherpal1 at aol.com <sherpal1 at aol.com> wrote:

> Or you have to just concentrate on nuevo,
> but to study both simultaneously, like what happens here,
> one class nuevo,one class traditional, and what you get is a
> fusion mess, since each style requires  different body
> position and axis principles...the poor students wonder why
> they do not progress.

Well, as it happens, I was lucky enough to be taking
classes when there were traveling teachers in both
milonguero and tango nuevo styles, and I'm pretty sure
I learned important things from both. My preference is a
close embrace, inward-focus style, but what I got from tango
nuevo teachers was a better understanding of the context
of the elements that I've come to consider my own.
I've chosen a certain embrace, a certain walk, certain
steps, and tango nuevo has made me conscious how I could
have chosen differently.