[Tango-L] Tango etiquette - odor

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Sat Sep 18 13:40:46 EDT 2010

  With permission from my teacher Andrea Pham in Gainesville to all her
students:

I get questions from time to time regarding tango etiquette (on and even
off floor). I thought it is a good idea to talk about this important
aspect of tango dancing, one etiquette at a time. And the topic of this
week is odor.

Well, we all know the famous 'close embrace' of Argentine tango. The
name says it all. Even dancing in open embrace this etiquette is still
worth to practice. Because we dance so close, hygiene is a number one
concern, and first is the odor.

Rule #1: Do not wear perfume (or strong after-shaved cologne). If you
must, choose a very light one. Someone might get allergic to your
perfume no matter how nice it smells.

Rule #2: On the other end, bad breath is a number one killer of
pleasure! Please pay close attention, especially when you are taller
than most of your dance partners.

Plenty of mints are in the jars on the dining table, and there is
mouthwash in the restroom. Feel free to take a quick break anytime for a
mint or a wash even you are unsure how good you smell :).

Rule #3: Not odor but breath-related issue. Leaders, do not breathe out
directly (often strongly) on your partner's face no matter how good your
breath is:). A good dancer might leave you after one song, not because
of your dancing as you might wonder, and how easy it is to fix!.

Next week will be about body sweat.