[Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Fri Oct 29 15:43:31 EDT 2010

Now I understand comments from Mario and Sean. Sometimes, the woman takes
control of the dance. The best class I ever took was at the  New York Tango
Festival. Virginia Kelly taught a class on Interleading. (I didn't find
anything on youtube but I found some google links if anybody is interested.)

Here's an example. I lead the woman in a forward ocho to my right. She
pivots on her right foot to her right. My right foot is next to her right
foot. She steps over my right foot with her left foot. Before I can lead the
next step, she grabs my right foot with her right foot. I'm at her mercy and
don't have a clue what comes next. The woman has to lead the next step. In
this case, I wasn't completely responsible for the physical aspect (leading
and following) of the dance.

Tango also has an emotional aspect of the dance though you're not going to
have it with every partner. I remember dancing with a New Yorker - - in
Florida, while I was on vacation a few years ago. She held me so closely,
that if I was even closer, I'd be behind her. She whispered into my ear
"don't do figures" so I stopped the fancy stuff. We moved slowly across the
floor feeling every beat of DiSarli. (I'll never forget that tanda.)

I read Mario's comment that the woman has absolutely no role. I've danced
with women who set the cadence. Technically their adornments shouldn't
impact my lead. but sometimes I move slower than usual to ensure I don't
push them off their axis.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines