[Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 29 02:10:10 EDT 2010

Sean, you may well be right but I'd like to hear more about your views.

The man is the leader and must surely take responsibility for the dance.
All the steps, pauses, cadence and tiempo are determined by the man.
Yes, the lady can make great contributions with what happens between
the steps and can, occasionally, if the man is sensitive, even influence
the man's next lead, but it's still difficult to see how Mario's statement
is not correct.

I once danced an improvised demonstration with a well-known visiting
Argentinean professional who was promoting her classes and she
probably had more influence on that dance than I did. But it was a
one-off demonstration and very different to when I danced with her
socially.

Also, I very much doubt that any social dancer could do
what she did and, if they did, it would be too exhausting
to get through even one tanda. :-)

Jack