[Tango-L] Apt.scam in Bs.As.

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:49:28 EDT 2010

Mario says he lives in Mexico and that in Latin America things are different than in the USA with respect to apartment rental deposit.

He also says "I have only very rarely seen these deposits returned in fact I don't remember ever seeing one returned..what does this mean?? well, you could interpret it as 'all Hispanics are thieves' or you can do it their way and as I suggest, use it as your last months rent...just give notice and nothing more."

1- Mario you make a big generalization, there are about 20 countries in Latin America.

   I have to assume that you lived in all of them.  Or perhaps that you lived in a few and in your ignorance you assume that all the Latin American countries are the same. It is natural for people that do not study geography or history to have that misconception. It is also obvious that you never visited Argentina.

Well, you may be surprised but each country south of the border although may have many elements in common with the others, is different, so you cannot generalize.

Deposits in Argentina are always returned, unless there is damage caused by misuse. Normal wearing and tearing is covered by the owner.

2- As to "...all hispanics are thieves"   ...this is another big generalization.

You speak as if crime or dishonesty was something new for you...The USA has the bigest population incarcerated per capita of any country in the world.

Over 2,000,000; by mid year 2002 America's jails held 1 in 142 residents.  http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/censusstatistic/a/aaprisonpop.htm
Some of them probably victimized honest tango dancers like yourself, yet nobody else generalizes.

3- I own apartments in Buenos Aires, I  have rented them for over 20 years.   If you do not pay the last month rent you will have to satisfy monetarily any damage that you may have caused by misuse to the owner's satisfaction. And then do not go there to rent again... for obvious reasons.

Also try to have the right attitude with respect to the countries that you visit.  When you are living in a place as you do, this is due to certain reasons that are convenient for you. Perhaps lower cost of living, lower taxes, not paying taxes, you like the climate, people are kind, better possibilities for studying, etc, etc.  So when you run into some little inconvenience such as the one you describe subtract the cost from all the benefits that you have been obtaining, have a positive attitude, and be happy.

Prevention as you advise, is always important as well.  The advise given by you would be very useful in the countries that you visited. Thank you!

Best regards, Sergio