[Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Oct 21 14:17:58 EDT 2010

Mario:
Yes, what you wrote rings a bell, AN ALARM BELL!

"This situation is a big reason why it should be the man who decides when
and with whom to dance." You don't really mean the woman has NO say with
whom and when she dances? We just had a long, useful thread on cabeceo. What
you wrote goes completely against cabeceo in that it removes the woman's
choice in dancing and reinforces the mentality that the woman just waits for
a knight in shining armor who wears dance shoes.

"The music and the person with whom he dances ought to give him the
conviction that he can pull it off (this song) with her help..." Dancing is
a partnership. The woman doesn't dance to assist the man in "pulling it
off." BOTH of them "pull it off" or it wasn't a good dance.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines

From: "Mario" <sopelote at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

 One of the differences in roles that most impresses me is how the man is
responsible for the dance itself. That is; he sets the cadence the movements
the vital feel of the dance. He is also responsible for what comes next,
this in
 itself can be a BIG job and an intimidating one. This situation is a big
reason why it should be the man who decides when and with whom to dance.
The music and the person with whom he dances ought to give him the
conviction that he can pull it off (this song) with her help (be a positive
and elegant experience).

The woman's part is equally as challenging, although not being as privy to
it as I am the man's, I cannot but marvel at it when I see it well done.
There is a combination of both the beauty of surrender and innovation. A
truly marvelous
 dynamic that is replicated thruout life in many ways, but that is besides
the  point.

If any of this rings a bell with you and you would like to add something,
please do.