[Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 14:56:35 EDT 2010

Hi, No Michael I wasn't inferring all that you seem to have gotten from that
paragraph. What I'm saying is that in that narrow sense; the woman should not
ask the man to dance and why.

    In terms of the 'pulling off' a successful dance yes I agree with you and my
whole later paragraph was alluding to the woman's role as much as I can see
it..and asking for input.   BUT my emphases was on the man and his
self-confidence (which women want) which is what is going to make his dance
interesting, different, surprising and a fun adventure.....it's his being
enthused by the music and confident that he's going to take on the BIG job of
steering a delightful dance with a particular woman...for me, sometimes the
music is soo compelling that I'll dance with anyone but again thats straying
from the point that since the responsibility is the man's, he should make the
decision when and with whom to dance....and yes the women must wait....and
attract....you know about the birds and the bees?

Mario:
Yes, what you wrote rings a bell, AN ALARM BELL!

"This situation is a big reason why it should be the man who decides when and
with whom to dance." You don't really mean the woman has NO say with whom and
when she dances? We just had a long, useful thread on cabeceo. What you wrote
goes completely against cabeceo in that it removes the woman's choice in dancing
and reinforces the mentality that the woman just waits for a knight in shining
armor who wears dance shoes.

"The music and the person with whom he dances ought to give him the conviction
that he can pull it off (this song) with her help..." Dancing is a partnership.
The woman doesn't dance to assist the man in "pulling it off." BOTH of them
"pull it off" or it wasn't a good dance.

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines

From: "Mario" <sopelote at yahoo.com>
Subject: [Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

One of the differences in roles that most impresses me is how the man is
responsible for the dance itself. That is; he sets the cadence the movements the
vital feel of the dance. He is also responsible for what comes next, this in
itself can be a BIG job and an intimidating one. This situation is a big reason
why it should be the man who decides when and with whom to dance. The music and
the person with whom he dances ought to give him the conviction that he can pull
it off (this song) with her help (be a positive and elegant experience).

The woman's part is equally as challenging, although not being as privy to it as
I am the man's, I cannot but marvel at it when I see it well done. There is a
combination of both the beauty of surrender and innovation. A truly marvelous
dynamic that is replicated thruout life in many ways, but that is besides the
point.

If any of this rings a bell with you and you would like to add something, please
do.