[Tango-L] Male / Female - Defining the different roles.

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 12:53:34 EDT 2010

Ok, I'm not saying that I can define the dance roles of the man and the woman in
Argentine Tango. But, I would like to begin a discussion of it and welcome all
who would like to join in.

One of the differences in roles that most impresses me is how the man is
responsible for the dance itself. That is; he sets the cadence the movements the
vital feel of the dance. He is also responsible for what comes next, this in
itself can be a BIG job and an intimidating one. This situation is a big reason
why it should be the man who decides when and with whom to dance.  The music and
the person with whom he dances ought to give him the conviction that he can pull
it off (this song) with her help (be a positive and elegant experience).
The woman's part is equally as challenging, although not being as privy to it as
I am the man's, I cannot but marvel at it when I see it well done. There is a
combination of both the beauty of surrender and innovation. A truly marvelous
dynamic that is replicated thruout life in many ways, but that is besides the
point.
  If any of this rings a bell with you and you would like to add something,
please do...  and thank you.

www.youtube.com/user/nacotete
www.tangoandchaos.org
www.theopendoorway.org/audiovisual.html