[Tango-L] Cabeceo & the "no"

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Sun Oct 17 20:04:04 EDT 2010

Technically, the woman never says "no" with cabeceo. If wants to dance, she
will nod "yes." If she doesn't want to dance, she looks away from the man as
if she never saw the invitation. In fact, if she isn't interested in dancing
with the man, she would never make eye contact in the first place. It's the
verbal invitation that requires a verbal response.

The bottom line is dancers aren't required to justify "no." A woman can
accept an invitation from another dancer even if she declined using cabeceo.
The etiquette is not to accept an invitation after verbally saying "no."

If it's too late and she discovers during the tanda that it's not going to
work, she can truthfully say "I'm off balance" or "I'm having difficulty
following." How the man reacts will determine if the tanda continues and if
the woman will dance again with him.

Daniel Trenner said a festival "There's NO security in tango."

Michael
I danced Argentine Tango --with the Argentines