[Tango-L] introducing the cabeceo (card)

Jack Dylan jackdylan007 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 01:18:52 EDT 2010

----- Original Message ----
> From: Trini y Sean (PATangoS) <patangos at yahoo.com>
>
> Chances are the good leaders and followers in a community already
>know about the cabeceo and use it in addition to asking.  I don't think
>it would be right to ask them to use it exclusively ... >

In milongas outside of BsAs, I agree that, due to the lighting and seating
arrangements, the seated cabeceo is probably a non-starter. But the walking
cabeceo is a good substitute and if good leaders are familiar with it, I think
they should use it exclusively. After all, if the best dancers don't do it, why
should others?

The main problem I've found is that most ladies don't [naturally] like to look
directly at a man and, without that, the cabeceo is impossible. I haven't
verbally asked a lady to dance in years and what I often like to do is to walk
towards a table of ladies and the first one to look up gets the cabeceo. Maybe
she wasn't my first choice but they soon realise that if they want to dance with

me, they have to look at me. If nobody looks up. I merely wak past.

If a lady is sitting alone, the walking cabeceo is very easy and I've found that

even those who have never heard of the cabeceo insinctively understand what
a smile and a nod towards the dance floor means.

IMO, the best way for the cabeceo to grow is for all good leaders to use
it exclusively. But I don't expect the verbal invitation ever to be eradicated
because I don't think it would be fair to expect most ladies to refuse an
invitation on the basis that it was verbal. But it's her choice.

Jack