[Tango-L] introducing the cabeceo (card)

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 23:42:53 EDT 2010

Sounds like an unnecessary waste of paper and a way of making the cabeceo seem more exotic than it really is.  Why doesn't the woman just tell the man after the tanda?  The good leaders will also tell you that it's often the women who need to be handed the cards.  I suppose she could always put the card down her bra.

If a man asks me to dance before the music starts, I just say "let's see what the music is", and then we'll decide together.  I've never had a man repeat the same mistake when asking me to dance at another time.  The trick is not to make him think that it's his dancing or that he's not good enough.

Chances are the good leaders and followers in a community already know about the cabeceo and use it in addition to asking.  I don't think it would be right to ask them to use it exclusively because these good dancers are usually the community's teachers/organizers who typically do a lot of socializing with someone before asking them to dance.  It's not realistic to have them suddenly start nodding their heads toward the dance floor instead of just simply asking.  Rather than giving these folks a card, I'd suggest playfully nodding heads/making eyes at them or some exaggeration to let them know that the next time you're asked, you'd appreciate a cabeceo.

The cabeceo usually starts between friends and it grows from there.

Trini de Pittsburgh