[Tango-L] introducing the cabeceo (card)

Balazs Gyenis gyepi at hps.elte.hu
Wed Oct 13 17:28:15 EDT 2010

       Hi all,

  Q: Do people here have experience about instituting the cabeceo to tango
communities where it is practically nonexistent? Any strategies that work?

  I would be curious to hear about implementation successes and failures. It
is not obvious how such a shift could be orchestrated even when some
important prerequisites - suitable venue, mindful DJ - are present and when
there are many tangueras and tangueros in the community who would actually
prefer using it. A lonely tanguera deciding to decline dancers who simply
walk to her risks being misunderstood and not asked out again even by
leaders with whom she would like to dance otherwise. A lonely tanguero
deciding to seek out partners only by looking and nodding towards them, in
an environment where all other leaders walk to partners to ask for dances,
risks coming through as a creepy guy who likes staring at women. With time,
especially in smaller, more stable communities where the custom of cabeceo
is at least heard of (i.e. in medium-sized cities in North America)
individual dancers may spread the word about their preferences for asking
out/for being asked out, but not everyone is willing to invest the energy
and time needed for that, not to mention dealing with the various stresses
involved (rejecting partners who walk to you, worrying about the stress this
rejection might cause to them, getting into awkward educational discussions
about the cabeceo during milonga etc).

  In general I think cabeceo is not going to become widespread unless a
sufficiently large group of `best' followers start to enforce it visibly and
simultaneously; they are also the ones for whom this practice would be most
advantageous. The question is whether this could be done in a way that
sufficiently reduces the risks and stresses, makes it relatively easy to
handle situations when someone simply walks to the tanguera to ask her for
the dance, and does not lead to a permanent drop in the number of wanted
dances.

  I thought maybe this cause could be helped by `cabeceo cards' and an
accompanied action plan. (Photo: http://goo.gl/WsCJ . I'm lazy so with
permission I copy below a detailed description of the idea recently sent
around by a tanguera who wishes to remain anonymous). I printed out a number
of these cards and experiments in some cities where I have
cabeceo-enthusiast partners are already under way but the outcome is unclear
yet. I hoped to hear some further constructive ideas to help this effort,
and so any comments about experiences with instituting the cabeceo would be
welcome!
  Thanks! Yours,

      Gy.B.