[Tango-L] tango fads, was: Pedulum swing to fundamental

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 20:15:48 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 9/30/10, Alexis Cousein <al at sgi.com> wrote:

> Don't they? Perhaps not if your average churn time is two
> years, but I certainly changed style a couple of times in
> the last eighteen years. I've even seen many fads rise and
> fall.

Well, if you don't mind, I hope we can go off on this
tangent here ... What are the fads that you have seen?
I'm honestly curious.

I've seen a few bona fide fads myself. People sticking
out their butts and elbows (both men and women) seems
to be popular at present. Men carrying the platter,
I mean, holding their partner's hand, also popular now.
Women hanging their left arm over the man's right
shoulder, so the elbow is pointed up in the air --
that one came and went a couple of years ago. I guess
it was just too uncomfortable, even if it was fashionable.

Some things haven't really gone away but I've seen
them less often lately. The 45 degree volcada --
overwhelmingly popular a few years ago. Still around
but not to the same extent.

Clothing fads are great too. At present there's a
kind of uniform for guys who want to dance tango nuevo:
bell bottom jeans (preferably shoddy) & a blazer.

People are so much fun to watch! What have you seen?