[Tango-L] THE important consideration in dancing different 'styles' of Arg. Tango

Tony Rathburn webmaster at tonyrathburn.com
Tue Oct 5 13:48:20 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 03:35, Mario wrote:
>     1. Ok… I think that we are missing a more simple distinction about what is
> going on…namely, that the so-called different styles are simply marketing
> gimmicks invented by ‘teachers’ to attract students.

I'm just wondering... is the implication that we should all dance the same
way... that there should be no improvisation?

Imagine what music would be like if there were no differences in style...

Tango, done well, is a personal expression... done by a couple, for the benefit
of the couple... and, if at a milonga, in a social space where behavior
respecting the social norms should be observed...

i think what too many miss is that there is no one 'right' way to dance... when
you take a lesson, understand... you are 'not' learning how to dance tango...

you are learning how your instructor dances...

many of these instructors have spent years... and in some cases, decades...
working on their unique style of dance... others have spent weeks, months, maybe
a couple of years.  in both cases, some are better teachers than others.  few
students (a better term... is probably 'attendees') are willing to spend the
time and energy to actually work on their dance... daily... over time... to be
able to dance at the level of the quality instructors.  unfortunately, too many

of these same attendees think that after an hour, or a couple of days... that
they are competent enough to break out their new movements....

yes... there is a business side of tango as well... but, the market determines
who survives. it is expensive to travel and teach.  i would like to see the

tango consumers show more interest in learning to dance well, rather than
flocking to the advanced, new trick of the day classes.  most attend classes and
try to learn movements that they are generally completely incapable of mastering
without first spending a few years of working on the basics.

i think what is missing, is that the social dance, is no longer social... it's
too often about making a statement.  i'd like to see more people considering the

quality of the statement they are making...