[Tango-L] THE important consideration in dancing different 'styles' of Arg. Tango

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Oct 5 04:55:29 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 03:35, Mario wrote:
> 	1. Ok… I think that we are missing a more simple distinction about what is
> going on…namely, that the so-called different styles are simply marketing
> gimmicks invented by ‘teachers’ to attract students.

I definitely disagree. The *labels* that get attached to styles are
sometimes a marketing gimmick, but styles develop quite naturally. In
fact, I dance tango primarily because each couple can develop his own
style in relative impunity (and I have different styles depending
on which of my regular dance partners I dance with, given that the
style belongs to the couple rather than the individual).

> THE most important thing to keep in mind imo, is the LINE OF DANCE and if any
> ’style’ ignores the line of dance, then it is doing damage to the social dance
> the Milonga.

To paraphrase another saying with which I only partially agree:
styles don't ignore the line of dance (and the ronda, as it's
perfectly possible to be a nuisance while sticking to the line of
dance). Dancers do.