[Tango-L] Line of dance and respect

HBBOOGIE1@aol.com HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 5 12:27:57 EDT 2010

THE most important thing to keep in mind imo, is  the LINE OF DANCE and if
any
> ’style’ ignores the line of dance, then it  is doing damage to the
social dance
> the Milonga.
To paraphrase  another saying with which I only partially agree:
styles don't ignore the  line of dance (and the ronda, as it's
perfectly possible to be a nuisance  while sticking to the line of
dance). Dancers do.

Yes and No…. Any  dancer can slow up or stop the line of dance regardless
of what style he’s  dancing however some styles are danced to specifically
disrupt the line of  dance. As a social dancer I try to always respect the
line of dance but most of  the time when others are slowing or stopping the
line of dance completely you  are forced to break the codes yourself and dance
around the person causing the  problem
.
There are the beginners who haven’t been taught the  line of dance yet…
..them I forgive
Then you have the novice that has been  taught and is trying so hard but
just hasn’t developed the skills yet to respect  the line of dance…them I
tolerate.
Last you have what I call the idiots this  is a very large group made up of
good dancers bad dancers so called teachers  foreign and domestic. Some
have been dancing for months some for years but the  common denominator they
share is a total disregard for the line of dance. This  group seems to be
dancing for attention or to show the woman how skilled he  is.  This group also
teaches on the dance floor and just can’t shut up and  dance. How many of
you reading this post fit into this group?  Stop and  think about what you’re
doing and how it affects others. Try to be more  respectful and everyone
including you will have a better tango.