[Tango-L] Line of dance and respect

Alexis Cousein al at sgi.com
Tue Oct 5 13:00:50 EDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 18:27, HBBOOGIE1 at aol.com wrote:
> Yes and No…. Any  dancer can slow up or stop the line of dance regardless
> of what style he’s dancing however some styles are danced to specifically
> disrupt the line of  dance.

Ah? Styles exist to *specifically* disrupt the line of dance? In other
words, they specifically mandate you should disrupt the line of dance?

If you think it applies to any style that has received a label, I'd
like to see documentary evidence of that stated aim ;).

I personally don't believe it. Teachers and dancers may not have been
taught any awareness of the ronda, but that doesn't mean their *style*
is danced specifically to disrupt the line of dance. It's usually
(when danced in a social context) an unfortunate by-product of what
they think is "important", of their teacher's teaching style or of
the local culture, and in that way divorced from the actual style.