[Tango-L] A conondrum of terms and labels in A.T.

Mario sopelote at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 13:04:25 EST 2010

 I apologize beforehand if this is too intellectual, but it is what I woke up
with this morning.
So, this is just to get some discussion of important distinctions in naming what
we are talking about.

I'm distinguishing the line of dance and the music as THE important factors in
traditional Argentine Tango dance.
Traditional Argentine Tango dancing is whatever is danced to Traditional
Argentine Tango Music...it is the Music that legitimizes the label. If a  couple
wants to dance NUEVO moves in OPEN FRAME and in ONE SPOT on the  dance floor..
to traditional Arg. Tango music..so be it...it is  Argentine Tango dancing but
not traditional ..and if someone wants to dance WEST COAST SWING  moves in OPEN
FRAME and in ONE SPOT on the dance floor to the same  music...congrats!...it too
is now Argentine Tango music dancing but not traditional dancing.
Then comes along another BIG distinction; it is whether it is SOCIAL  DANCING or
PERFORMANCE DANCING....and if everyone on the floor is each  dancing in one
spot...Then, even the last two examples can be Social  Dancing...but if the
couples are all following a line of dance, the  ronda, then it is TRADITIONAL
ARGENTINE TANGO SOCIAL DANCING.  I am  making the  ronda or line of dance as THE
distinctive TRADITIONAL DANCE  feature of dancing to Traditional Argentine Tango
Music.
 Anyway, these are the distinctions involved as i see it and respect for  the
line of dance is where the future of the dance will be either  preserved or
destroyed. Just don't mix the line of dance and spot  dancing on the same dance
floor because then you will have Bumping cars  which is a game best left in the
arcades.
www.youtube.com/user/nacotete
www.tangoandchaos.org
www.theopendoorway.org/audiovisual.html