[Tango-L] Leading with the right hand

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 10:19:31 EST 2010

Dear tangueros,

        As I mentioned before there are many ways to dance and to lead tango.  There is a right and a wrong way to do anything.

The type or style of tango you dance should be according to the club, your partner, the time of the day or night, the occasion, the music, the condition of the floor, the space available, etc.

The more you know the more versatile your dancing will be. The more you know the more interesting your dancing will be.

There are problems and discussions abroad that we rarely have in Argentina. Most of us, I grew up in Villa urquiza, learned tango to lead in different ways including with the right hand. We also learned to dance in close and open embrace and to change the embrace as needed from the very beginning.

Diego Di Falco and Carolina Zokolski have made great CD,s about woman's and men's technique. They teach to lead in different ways including the right hand.

  It is a custom in Argentina, in any milonga to ask a couple to do an exhibition. Below you have some examples of Traditional Tango Dancing, in exhibition situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGK5-moI1Q  Diego Di Falco y Carolina - Open embrace - Rt. hand lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwSV2hu7CH0&feature=related  Diego y Carolina - Close and open embrace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksD6JCy12M4&NR=1  Diego y Carolina - Milonga Open and close embrace  - Chest & Rt. hand lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTQ6pBYRsk&feature=related  Tango Villa Urquiza - Close and open embrace and use of firuletes or embellishments.

The important thing is : to dance the way you like and allow others to do the same always accommodating to the circumstances as stated above.

Best regards, Sergio