[Tango-L] Cartesian clocks on the dance floor; was: Some thoughts on connection

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 16:12:14 EST 2010

--- On Mon, 11/15/10, Jack Dylan <jackdylan007 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> A teacher once told me that there is no lead and follow;
> the man dances his dance and the lady accompanies him
> with her dance.

Hmm. I dunno about that. Surely the man is actually
doing something (not sure what) to the woman.

I'm reminded of the old Cartesian duality of the body
and mind. If the mind is purely immaterial, it cannot
interact with the material body. So how can the mind
have any effect on the body? The analogy is that the
mind and body are like two identical clocks, which are
set running at the same time. Does the ticking of the
one cause the other to chime? Nope, it's just a coincidence.
Likewise, G-d, in His infinite wisdom, created your mind
and body so that your mind appears to be acting on your body,
but it's just an illusion.

Does the man lead the woman? Nope, she just happens
to be doing the same steps as him.