[Tango-L] Some thoughts on connection

Sandhill Crane grus.canadensis at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 21 16:31:31 EST 2010

--- On Mon, 11/15/10, Gordon Erlebacher <gerlebacher at fsu.edu> wrote:

> What one perceives as simultaneous could be one behind the
> other, as long as the time separation between the two is
> sufficiently low. The best female tango dancers respond
> to indications from the leader "almost" instantaneously.
> Just as light does not go from point A to point B
> instantaneously, but very fast, the same is true for the
> woman responding to the man's indication.

Well, speaking for myself of course, I like to dance
with a woman who has a certain syrupy quality to her
movement; it's fluid, but there's momentum -- it takes
some time to get started, and some time to stop.

I don't like to dance with a woman who's in a hurry to
do anything. I like to fill up all of the time between
beats with motion -- there's no bonus points for finishing
early. Usually when I dance with a woman like that,
I start making my indications more and more subtle,
in hope that she won't respond so fast, then
she compensates by moving even faster ... somehow we make
it to the end of the tanda, and smile and say thank you.