[Tango-L] Moe Tango

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 8 16:25:39 EST 2010

Last month, while my normal partner, Sarah, whom many of you know, was at the Portland Festival, I had an old friend come to Houston to visit. Susana Gonzalez from Tampa and I lucked into a video at Dan Electro's Guitar Bar, dancing to some great blues by one of our favorite local bands; "Moe Hansum".

I've long advocated dancing to alternative music as a way of improving your musicality. I didn't grow up listening to tango, for me it was rock and blues. That's the music I grew up feeling and living. And learning how to interpret the blues, for me, translates into learning how to interpret the great tango orchestras of the 30's and 40's.

Yes, I know that many say this is not "Tango", since there is no tango music, but this is not the point, and its a helluva lot of fun.

We often hear of using "pauses", but it's difficult learning how to make this pause a long, slow, sensuous pivot, or something other than just a "pause". Dancing like this has taught me so many things that enhance my Argentine Tango.

Many, many thanks to the Moe Hansum band, especially Sandy the bass player and his wife Janet, of "Sweet Spirit Productions", for posting this video.
Michael is on guitar and vocals, John on guitar, and Steve on drums. Sarah and I have enjoyed dancing to their music on many an occasion. Also thanks to Bob, and "Dan Electro's" for providing Houston with a great venue and great live music.

Susana is a beautiful partner, and a wonderful dancer. The weekend she was here, we had not seen each other for two years. Here we are, dancing to "Water into Wine" written by Michael Durbin, and performed by Moe Hansum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J6JVS7_g3g

Looking forward to the St Louis "Hot Winter Tango" Festival next month; hope to see you there.

Regards,

Michael Figart II