[Tango-L] Recognizing Tango Music

Myk Dowling politas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 20:42:51 EDT 2010

On 11/06/10 10:24, Trini y Sean (PATangoS) wrote:
> Let me try to clarify. If a tango melody played straight through to a
> specific rhythm of 1-3-1-&3-4, for example, just to pull some numbers
> out of the air, wouldn't it still be a tango, even if the rhythm is
> repetitive? Or are you saying that it would have to have some other
> variation? And if so, why do you say that.

If I'm reading your notation correctly, that would be a milonga, not a
tango. You can take any tango and put it to a milonga rhythm. What you
get is a milonga, not a tango. You could play an entire tango in simple
4/4 beat. It would be very boring and most people would consider it
undanceable, but (and here's the important part) that's not a rhythm. A
rhythm is a pattern of strong and weak beats overlaying the basic time
signature. And that's the difference between tango and other dance
music. Other dance music has a specific rhythm that must be followed for
the dance to fit. Tango has a variable rhythm, and it is that variation
that is one of the most vital aspects of tango music.

Myk,
in Canberra