[Tango-L] Recognizing Tango Music

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 10:46:38 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/10/10, Myk Dowling <politas at gmail.com> wrote:

> rhythm is a pattern of strong and weak beats overlaying the
> basic time
> signature. And that's the difference between tango and
> other dance
> music. Other dance music has a specific rhythm that must be
> followed for
> the dance to fit. Tango has a variable rhythm, and it is
> that variation
> that is one of the most vital aspects of tango music.

Thanks for clarifying, Myk.  Yet it strikes me that people like to dance to these alternative music that has this same boring repetitive rhythm and call it tango.  Well, the dance, anyway though not the music.  I haven't listened closely too much to the electronic tango put out by Bajofondo or the Gotan Project for this type of thing.  Has anyone?  And if so, what do you think?

By the way, if one were to take the melody of "Mary had a Little Lamb" and make it a tango, what rhythm would one make?

Trini de Pittsburgh