[Tango-L] FW: Music preferences

Steve Littler sl at stevelittler.com
Fri Jul 30 20:34:42 EDT 2010

Fascinating, Miguel.

I've never heard this viewpoint before. (Although I had heard that no
one would dance when Gardel sings or is played, out of respect to him.)

Yes, I do not understand Castillian and if I did I probably might not
dance during the singer's performance. I was dancing in Tampa last year
when a live orchestra from Miami played and during one song the female
singer sang, it was so powerful, all the dancers just stopped dancing
and listened. When she finished the song, everyone just applauded in
amazement and respect.

It WAS very difficult to dance while the singer was singing live. With
recorded music it is much easier to dance when the singer is singing.

Would you dance to a recorded song with a singer?

What do you do if you start dancing to a recorded song, and half way
through, the singer starts to sing? Do you stop on the dance floor and
just listen? Or are you familiar enough with Tango songs to know right
away if there is a singer in it and just not start the dance once you
hear the first few notes?

(I have read a number of Tango song translations, and some are beyond
sad, so in a way I am glad not to know the words, because I probably
couldn't dance to such a sad song.)

El Stevito de Gainesville