[Tango-L] Tangotherapy

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 19:26:16 EDT 2010

Clarin Newspaper from today has an interesting article on how Tango is used in therapy of different conditions.
Here you have a translation of the same done with the google translator.

Tango: listening to the music and dancing is used in many institutions all over the world to improve diseases such as Parkinson, coronary artery disease, arterial hypertension, mental illnesses, depresion, neurosis, parkinson and many others.

 Dancing tango   is used to treat various diseases
29/07/1910
>From heart problems to Parkinson's disease . Today begins an international conference on the subject in Capital. According to experts, this dance movements strengthen the postural balance and assist in the rehabilitation of coronary ailments .

  Elderly patients feel healthier, those that are sick recover faster, some patients stop taking medications or reduce the dose and feel better.

 These are the results that get the professionals who use tango to help resolve some conditions , from heart to Parkinson's disease.

 Practitioners will talk about their experiences from today until Saturday at the Third International Congress of Tangoterapia , in Cultural Center Saint Martin.

 A number of practitioners began to incorporate Tangotherapy to their respective disciplines.

Since 2004 , the School of Tango Amar   has students with intellectual and sensory disabilities , and a flawless ballet of young people with Down syndrome .

Psychologist  Rosa Sosnitsky  discovered the " properties " of   tango when, in her other role as a singer , went to nursing homes .

 When investigating the influence of music on memory retrieval , noted that the elderly " had greater involvement with tango music , because it had been fixed at an early age.

 Those unable to speak , began to speak and to remember lyrics.

In due time these people progressed in general communication skills.

Those that had been dancing when young and now were afraid of falling,feel encouraged to dance tango because of the embrace containment and safety .

In long term studiess,   tango  has given strength and improved  movements in people with cerebral palsy spasticity .

The physiotherapist Gammon Earhart , ( University of Saint Louis ( USA)), reports great progress in their patients as well.

" Not only is it used as dance therapy, but it is also very important to listen to music , singing or reciting , " says Dr.Schena (University of Buenos Aires) who , in addition to a cardiologist, is the author of three books of poetry .

We  use tangos , with positive themes such as friendship , love for the mother , the neighborhood, etc .

Dr. Schena observations confirm a study done in 1999 at the Favaloro Foundation : "It has been demonstrated in several studies that Tango is very effective in the rehabilitation of coronary patients, or those that suffered a stroke, and also in the treatment of arterial hypertension . "

In Congress, Dr. Maria Eugenia Lacour submits her findings in the implementation of tangotherapy merged with dance therapy, in cancer patients .

Physiologist Patricia McKinley from McGill University in Canada, will tell how Tango stimulates the central nervous system in older adults.

Psychiatrist Jessica Grumberg , also a dancer, narrate her techniques : "You can work with normal to  severe neurotic patients ,  with schizophrenia or with psychosis.

"We use change of roles as well  .

Tango has a positive influence in other disorders:

Spasticity and Parkinson's disease. Increases agility and strength in movement and thereby strengthens  body balance.

Heart disease and hypertension, hormone- related benefits as it decreases sympathetic activity (those that produce tachycardia , hypertension, and vasospasm ), and improves the vascular capacity .

Decreased sensory (dementia or Altheimer). Dancing, listening and interpreting the tango aid in the mechanism of expression of emotions.

Schizophrenia. As emotional pathology distorts the body image, and therefore communication, tango provides a structure and helps in the development of body image and communication.

We will certainly learn more during the present congress.

Clarin, newspaper 7/29/2010