[Tango-L] Tango marathons

Tango22 tango22 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 20:16:38 EDT 2010

Subject: Tango marathons
Vince Bagusauskas wrote -
With Melbourne holding separate 9 and 20 hour celebratory tango
marathons.........
Personally, I think it is an opportunity to have people from across the
country come together and enjoy not only the dancing but the also the
socializing.

It is great to see more Tango events attempting to attract national
guests.  We hope it is a sign of growth.  Even so, with the current
level of activity, it is getting ever more difficult to attract local
communities to special events, let alone guests.

Let's see, since May/June (not in any order):
Sydney Tango festival, including Mudgee dance weekend (three visiting
Argentine couples)
Two travelling nuevo / salon couples  (separate)
Fabrizio Forte (Brisbane)
New Zealand Tango Festival
Amenabar workshops (all over)
Blue Mountains Tango Synergy dance weekend

and coming up......
Milonga Para Los Niños 10th Anniversary Celebration (30th June - 1
August), Brisbane (where it's 24 degrees C)   www.paralosninos.net
Sydney Salon Tango Festival  - September - October
Bundanoon dance weekend, November
Tango Fire (stage show)
there may be others..............

plus Tango marathons (2), Melbourne.  I have not seen any national
publicity for these events in Tango Australia, Melbourne Tango Club
Events or anywhere else.

Is all this activity resulting in poor attendance at local classes and
milongas or is it creating more interest?  Our experience is the
former where classes and milongas are down.

I'm getting the feeling the organisers of national events and one-off
touring teachers will need to be very selective, coordinate nationally
with other organisers and make sure that their offerings are excellent
quality to succeed.
John