[Tango-L] Tango marathons

rcgimmi@aol.com rcgimmi at aol.com
Tue Jul 20 20:03:46 EDT 2010

Yes, it's interesting, isn't it?  I've spent quite a bit of time in both countries and tango seems to have waxed and waned in both of them.  In the 1950's and 1960's, tango in Argentina seems to have been in decline in Argentina; but, this same is the rising "golden age" of tango in Finland.

I met some young Portenas at our tango festival in 2004.  I am guessing they grew up in the 1980s.  None of them knew how to tango.  "That's old people's stuff."  They were only there to listen to the music.

Today, (IMHO) tango in Argentina is gaining in popularity while it is fading in Finland.  But, that's nice, isn't it?  The tango stars are always bright in one hemisphere or the other.

I think much of the slow decline in tango's popularity in Finland is attributable to the passing of Finland's "war generation."