[Tango-L] Tango in film and what is traditional?

Vince Bagusauskas vytis at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 07:32:41 EST 2010

This is what is written on Wikipedia regarding "Tango"

                 "The "milonguero" style is characterised by a very close
embrace, small steps, and syncopated rhythmic footwork. It is based on the
petitero or caquero style of the crowded downtown clubs of the '50s.

                  In contrast, the tango that originated in the family clubs
of the suburban neighbourhoods (Villa Urquiza/Devoto/Avellaneda etc.)
emphasizes long elegant steps, and complex figures. In this case the embrace
may be allowed to open briefly, to permit execution of the complicated
footwork.

                 The complex figures of this style became the basis for a
theatrical performance style of Tango seen in the touring stage shows. For
stage purposes, the embrace is often very open, and the complex footwork is
augmented with gymnastic lifts, kicks, and drops." (If you disagree, you are
welcome to edit Wikipedia)

Therefore based on the above, if the floor is not crowded or one is putting
on an authentic milonga from the 30's and 40's, the dancers would be in
their rights to dance against the LOD. A bold statement yes but what is the
evidence to state otherwise?

Recent posts on beats/8CB has prompted me to do some research over the last
few days, so I have been trawling Youtube and Google Video looking for
dancers doing tango at a milonga, up to the period of the late 1950's.
There are *lots* of clips of tango singers (how unlike today) but nothing
in the way of film taken in a milonga.  There are therefore only a handful
of clips from movies of the 1930's and 40's, of dancers putting on a bit of
a tango dance.  Invariably the dance seems to be a bit of a mismatch of the
candombe*/milonga style with lots of space around the dancers, allowing the
dancers to step any which way.  I grant you that the dancers were putting on
a show for the movie audience and thus the dance might be more showier than
what would normally happen.

Therefore, if anyone can point me to film clips taken at real milongas from
the proto- and Golden Age of tango please post the links.

Regards,

Vince
in Melbourne

*Wiki suggests that candombe is Uruguayan tango