[Tango-L] Tango in film and what is traditional?

Alberto Gesualdi clambat2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Jan 20 08:17:59 EST 2010

Well, unfortunately, there are no such films or clips , Vince.

It is as you say, what may be seen on movies is a show , or something pre arranged by the director of the film.

On Tango Bar, there is a small piece of dance by Tito Lusiardo, and then Carlos Gardel says " now I will dance" and make some steps , on a similar pattern than the ones Tito Lusiardo made before ( most probably, Lusiardo was the tango coach for Gardel to do this little show).

It is a mystery, why , being the first movie in the history of argentine cinema , one about Tango , there were no further activity regarding the dancers of the 30's . It seems the directors prefer to show singers or musicians, but no dancers, and also there was not a serious attempt to record documentary .

There was a kind of bulletin news , that was broadcasted at the cinema shows, altogehter with the movies, called "Sucesos Argentinos". It have a weekly detail of activities in Argentina, famous events , or public events, and some aspects or argentine culture. It run from 1938 to 1972 , and it has a typical presentation, a man on a horse with the front legs of the horse in the air ( much like Walt Disneys "Zorro" presentation with Guy Williams).

>From 1944 to 1955, it was used by the government of president Peron , as a propaganda outlet, mainly the information was focused on all the improvements that the peronist government was doing for the well being of citizen ...

This is a clipping , chapter 498 ( they numbered the broadcastings, that were made once a week as said before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7LlEBeim8I

If you made a search on you tube, you have to be careful, because there is a funny version of Sucesos Argentinos, made on the 80`s by a comic program called Cha Cha Cha, with Alfredo Casero . They take the format of Sucesos Argentinos, and produced all kind of jokes , very well concealed . One of the jokes was that all the personell at the cinemas went in strike, and the government used military forces to receive the people and cut the tickets at the entrance of the cinema , also showing them to their seat :)

alberto