[Tango-L] Srgio cannot step off the beat

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 20 07:23:18 EST 2010

The prior discussion centered on teaching beginners to step on the tango beat.

Some posters felt that it is possible to dance stepping off the beat.

Leaving sarcasms aside, I think that that concept could have some validity and originate confusion as well.

When we become good tango dancers frequently we dance to the melody and not to the beat.

What happens is that tango music could have a strong beat like D'Arienzo for instance, a beat that cannot be ignored, he was known as "The king of the beat" (El rey del compás).

But there are many tangos that alternate moments where the beat is strong, with moments when the beat is very weak or at times when it could be totally absent.

If we are dancing to the beat we continue hearing that beat even when it is absent, but at times we dance to the melody, precisely because the beat disappeared or it is very weak.

This dancing to the melody then does not feel or looks  bad at all.

I suggest as an exercise that you try to dance to both the beat first and then to the melody and see what happens.

The problem arises when beginner dancers do not hear or feel the beat, and there are many people that dance for the longest time without knowing where the beat is.

There are times when we go to ballroom dances where American or European tangos are played.  They usually have a beautiful melody but with a strong beat that is very difficult to ignore. the result is that you end up dancing slow-slow-quick-quick-slow sequences like in American tango.

Best regards, Sergio

PS. My apologies to Don Kline, I intended to be humorous using Argentine sarcasm, but respectfully.