[Tango-L] Srgio cannot step off beat.

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Fri Jan 15 12:37:09 EST 2010

Sergio wrote: What you cannot do is to step off the beat.

If he meant this literally, I respectfully disagree, and I wonder which
part of the beat he is talking about. I also have observed many great
tango dancers and teachers over the years, and most of them will play
with the rhythm of a piece as if they themselves are an additional
instrument in the orchestra, providing a unique voice or even a
contra-rhythm to the tango.
You can interpret the music in many different ways. One of them is
stepping in between the strong down  beat, ie, stepping only on the weak
for part or all of a tango.  This is especially nice when you dance to
Biagi, as he rewards your attention to the weak  in betweeen beat by
surprising you with an emphasis on that beat.  For example, if we divide
a beat into four parts, we get 123412341234, with 1 being the strong
beat.  If you step only on the beat, or the 1, you will put your partner
to sleep.  For Biagi, try stepping 1-3-1, or vary between stepping on
the 3, 3 , 3, and 1-3-1.  Other rhythm possiblities include 12 - -1, 1 -
- 41, or 12-41, or many other possiblities just suing these four quarter
notes for arrependita or traspie effects.  Occasionally, for a run or
trill in the music, you might work with eighth note beats also.