[Tango-L] 8 count basic

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 21:12:39 EST 2010

"I'm personally a firm believer in the 8CB for a number of reasons and I’m glad to see the real tango teachers of Buenos Aires agree with me. " says hbboogie.

Yes most teachers in Buenos Aires start teaching the 8 count base.

But at the same time the students are taught how to avoid repeating that same figure again and again.

They are taught how to change that figure or any figure to improvise, how to use the elements that constitute the figure in a different order or sequence.

Walk to the cross (step #5 of the base) and continue forward, just walking. Walk without doing the "tango close" steps #6-7-8 of the base for instance.

Do not step back on crowded floors, etc, etc.

All these exercises are supposed to prevent problems that may arise otherwise.

This prevention does not always occur and creates all the problems that you have been discussing recently.

Best regards, Sergio