Re: [Tango-L] Back to the 8CB‏

tony parkes macromagix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 23:13:40 EST 2010

hola sergio

i have a great respect for you and the content in your emails over the
past few years

maybe i am missing something here, but when i dance the tango i
subconsciously am aware of the 8th beat. for me it signals a new
round, a new adventure, a new figure, steps, whatever.

so if on the say the 6th beat i have finished whatever i have been
doing with my partner, then i will basically stand still and allow her
the last few beats for adornos etc, so that when i hear the 8th beat i
am prepared to set off on a new set of steps.

and please, i never count the steps, oscar casas from el beso said
something similar, i just know when the count is ending, that the 8th
beat is near and it is out with the old and in with something new. but
not all the time.  i never try to contrive my dancing to always fit in
with 8.... several times during a tanda i will synchronise with it, at
other times the movements i am doing overrun the 8 beat count, there
is no problem.

but for me, most of the music you mention i hear an an 8 beat count
and melding with those phrases gives me a strong connection to the
music

cheers
tony