[Tango-L] Back to the 8CB‏

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 21:00:08 EST 2010

I am Argentine, I grew up in Villa Urquiza (a neighborhood famous for its tango clubs).

I have known most of the great tango teachers and dancers of my time; I never heard any one once to talk about the 8 or the 4 musical phrase or of any count of any type.

You have to recognize where the beat is. You must step on a beat, any beat. You may dance fast or slowly, you may pause whenever you wish. You may pause after the first step, or the second, or the third or after any one that you wish.

You have to feel the music, some people say that tango  is a restrained emotion that eventually explodes.

To learn to feel the music you must listen to tangos as much as you can. Preferable to orchestras like Carlos Di Sarli, Angel D'agostino, osvaldo Fresedo, Juan D'Arienzo, Miguel Calo, etc.

What you cannot do is to step off the beat.

A tango is your creation, it has a beginning a mid portion, a preparation for the ending and an ending.

You have to make an interpretation of the music, adjusting somewhat to the changes in dynamic that it has.

There are figures for Adagios (slow moments) and figures for Variations (fast moments played by the bandoneon).

The back step is a natural one that occurs when you bring the left foot close to the right one. Since you alternate both feet, like when you walk, after that move with your left foot, the natural step next is with your right one.

This step  (depending on many things,... available space behind you, for instance) may be a real back step, it could be very short or long, or it could be in place as a weight change. Or it could be a lateral step to the right, or it could be a forward step, or you could cross it behind your left one for a right half turn, etc.

Do you think that any of the following dancers are concerned with any 4 or 8 or 16 beat phrases or any count of any type?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3zet-EKeo8   Osvaldo zotto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcBFsaRoPQ  Tete Y silvia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDKwI0I8xms&feature=related osvaldo y coca

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVTHdM2LRLc&feature=related Orlando Paiva Jr.

Summary I have taught many foreigners to dance tango, I get them to dance to the music very fast and I never mentioned any phrase either...but then there are many ways to dance and many ways to teach.

So if you like to talk about phrases of the music please do, there is no need to argue about this.

Best regards, Sergio