[Tango-L] Srgio cannot step off beat

Charles Roques c.roques at mchsi.com
Fri Jan 15 13:27:47 EST 2010

Martin wrote:

<<<Sergio wrote: What you cannot do is to step off the beat.

If he meant this literally, I respectfully disagree, and I wonder which
part of the beat he is talking about. I also have observed many great
tango dancers and teachers over the years, and most of them will play
with the rhythm of a piece as if they themselves are an additional
instrument in the orchestra, providing a unique voice or even a
contra-rhythm to the tango. >>>

Martin, I might be off base here but I think his point was more basic and referring to beginning people who don't hear the music and dance out of time, not people who hear it and play with the time.  You obviously have some music background...not all tango dancers do.  What Biagi does, especially the way he emphasizes the penultimate beat in milongas (I hear it and can dance it, but may not be expressing it correctly in musical terms)) is more sophisticated and not exactly beginner material.   Since it stemmed form the 8CB discussion, I thought he was talking about at least hearing and learning to step to the tempo even if you didn't subscribe to the 8CB formula.  He is right about a lot of beginners (and not-so beginners) who don't hear it.  It is a common problem in my beginner classes and always has been.  Your point is a bit beyond the realm of someone still trying to find the beat.

Cheers,
Charles