[Tango-L] [SA] RE: San Diego close embrace Festival 2010 and ritual

Have to Tango amor_y_vals at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 7 20:36:35 EST 2010

> Tom Stermitz wrote:

>> (1) Isn't ALL tango close-embrace? Not counting stage tango, of
>> course. Nuevo and Salon sometimes have a variable embrace, but they
>> are also danced very close

Well, one could argue your point. But if this is really true, why do we bother to use the appellation "close-embrace" in the first place? We'd just call it tango and other labels would not have developed to describe differences. I personally find the distinction useful, since I see dancers in my communities who prefer a completely or mostly open embrace, and many others who never or seldom open the embrace.

>> so they could find that Buenos Aires experience in the US.<

Your intent to provide an authentic "Buenos Aires exprience" in the US is truly admirable and I hope you succeed! But -- and this is meant to be more than a rhetorical question -- doesn't this require going all the way, including cortinas where the dance floor is really cleared, and -- let's not forget -- the empowerment (and freeing) of both the leaders and especially followers by instituting and teaching the cabeceo? The latter could only lead to a higher level of dancing, and it would avoid the absolutely non-authentic experience of making followers "sitting ducks."

I personally do not believe its possible (or honest) to import just the parts that are convenient, familiar, or comfortable and still say that is an authentic experience. I applaud you for advocating the ritual of the milonga and I hope you do succeed in offering such a festival, but with 100% of the ritual and transcendance, not just 50%.