[Tango-L] why learn the eight count basic?

hbboogie1@aol.com hbboogie1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 5 17:26:52 EST 2010

I am not a teacher however I feel the 8 count  basic is important as a
teaching tool for those wishing to learn salon. It gives  the follower the
opportunity to take a forward step a right side step a back  step another back
step leading into a cruzada finishing with a back step out of  the cruzada a
side step to the left and finishing back to the starting position.  All the
essentials of dancing in all 4 directions.
The B8C done right is not  as easy as one might think. I would say the
majority of teachers will spend  perhaps 20 minutes on the 8CB and then move on
to figures.
An excellent  teacher will teach every aspect of tango using the 8CB
starting with posture,  balance, embrace, axis and floor craft. After learning all
this you're ready for  that first back step… but wait not yet. You first
need to learn how to very  gently compress down into the floor sending a
signal to the follower that your  getting ready to take that first step back and
don't forget the position of the  foot as you step back…...blah blah blah
you get the picture and that’s just step  #1 in the 8 count basic.

Good is learning the 8CB in twenty  minutes
Excellent is learning the 8CB in one year.
Good is the greatest  enemy of excellence

David