[Tango-L] 7 versus 8 count basic

Gordon Erlebacher gerlebacher at fsu.edu
Tue Jan 5 15:54:03 EST 2010

In answer to the following from Sergey:

"I am looking for an answer to why is the basic step taught with the
back step and can't think of any reason other than "tradition". Why
shouldn't we remove the back step and make a 7-count basic? If you want
to keep with tradition (keep calling the side step "dos", the forward
step "tres", etc.), you could either simply start counting from "dos";
or instead of a basic step, do a pause or something on the" count "uno".

I had exactly the same question for a while. Eventually, I had a
discussion with Mimi Santapa who is helping me improve my posture and
dance. Mimi would dance a 7 count basic in the dance, but teach the 8
count. Here are the reasons she does so (I cannot answer for other
instructors obviously):

1) Tango is improvised: there are no real sequences. They are to be
taken apart and reconstructed. The base (cross and parallel version)
form the foundation of tango. In the base, one can find pieces of all
the more complex combinations found in the dance. Counts  1 and 2 (back
step and side step for the man), taken in isolation, can be found in
many other sequences. Almost certainly, the technique used in these
other sequences when taking these two steps would be very similar to the
technique used in the base.

2) When taking the base (step 1), the man is not necessarily facing the
line of dance. He could be facing at 45 degrees to the line of dance, or
facing the wall. In these cases, the back step is not nearly as
dangerous to the oncomers.

3) Finally, Mimi told me that many men take the back step way too large.
The right foot should come almost straight down and slightly back, but
long before heel would hit the ground, one initiates the side step. Thus
this "back step" takes almost no space and collisions will not occur.

   Best regards,

      Gordon