[Tango-L] The dreaded back step

barbara barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Tue Jan 5 12:34:32 EST 2010

Yes this is truly a mystery. Al and I never teach the dreaded back step;
we describe step 1 as a "preparation to dance", in other words an
opportunity to establish the weighted foot, check posture and embrace,
and soften the knees preparatory to the side step. We use the 1 through
5 count only, never 6 through 8 as we don't believe that students should
automatically close at the end of the basic step. The possibility of the
back step doesn't occur until we teach the cadencia. The reason that we
use the traditional numbers 2 -5 is because so many classes are taught
that way, it makes an easy shortcut. Traveling maestros often say "start
on step 2" (or 3 or 5, but I've never heard anyone say "start on step 6,
7 or 8!) It seems very strange that most Argentine teachers, at least of
the traditional or salon schools, quite consistently teach one through
eight  when introducing any new combination or pattern although they
would never dream of doing this on the dance floor.

Nevertheless not only are most students who have studied in the US or
Canada attached to the 8CBWDBS, but even those who have learned tango
only from us tend to discover this concept after a while even though we
NEVER allude to counts 1 and 6-8. I guess they get it from YouTube
lessons or DVDs.

We have opinions too about teaching back ochos, but then we have
opinions on almost everything tango!
Abrazos,
Barbara in Vallarta