[Tango-L] The dreaded back step

"Christian Lüthen" christian.luethen at gmx.net
Tue Jan 5 12:30:45 EST 2010

 Sergey Kazachenko <syarzhuk at gmail.com> wrote to Tango-L:

> > Sandhill Crane wrote in another topic:
> > (yes, using the 8 count basic with dreaded back step)
>
> I am looking for an answer to why is the basic step taught with the
> back step and can't think of any reason other than "tradition".

You'd better check the Tango-L-archive ... but bring a month to read all postings about the TD8CBWBS ['the dreaded 8 count basic with back step].

> Why shouldn't we remove the back step and make a 7-count basic?
> If you want to keep with tradition (keep calling the side step "dos",
> the forward step "tres", etc.), you could either simply start counting
> from "dos"; or instead of a basic step, do a pause or something on the
> count "uno".

No no no, do not make it a '7-count'!!! It would too much confuse people!
Leave it an '8-count', but with a 'step' on the spot on count one! [thus no back-step but 'on-spot-step'].
a/ this keeps counting simple
b/ this also helps sorting the legs of leader and follower: of course at the end the 'on-spot-step' will 'only' be a 'shift of weight', but this will keep up the (rhythmical) connection within the couple!

For the rest: happy new year a todos!
Christian

.
           christian.luethen at gmx.net
How inappropriate to call this planet earth ...
... as clearly it is ocean!