[Tango-L] The dreaded back step

Sergey Kazachenko syarzhuk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:45:07 EST 2010

Sandhill Crane wrote in another topic:
> (yes, using the 8 count basic with dreaded back step)

I am looking for an answer to why is the basic step taught with the
back step and can't think of any reason other than "tradition".
Why shouldn't we remove the back step and make a 7-count basic?
If you want to keep with tradition (keep calling the side step "dos",
the forward step "tres", etc.), you could either simply start counting
from "dos"; or instead of a basic step, do a pause or something on the
count "uno".

Another thing that always puzzled me is the way ochos atrás are taught
- usually in the static position, with 180-degree turns.
If you watch real dancers, no one ever does 180 degree ochos! (one
local teacher have shown the variation with the more than 180 degree
turn - in effect, the follower was moving forward while turning
backward - but he did warn us this was a performance-only variation).
The only reasons I can think of are 1) static position is easier for
beginners (they get to concentrate on performing the move, not moving
in a ronda); 2) followers get to really work on contra-body movement.
But the fact is that what's being taught is not what should be danced,
and I think it's a pity.

Sergey

May you be forever touched by His Noodly Appendage... (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster )