[Tango-L] Re, PART 1: The Definition of Tango Nuevo (1 of 2)

jb34528@att.net jb34528 at att.net
Sun Jan 3 18:48:28 EST 2010

PART 1
What Shahrukh´s detailed essay appears to support is the claim that there is no "nuevo". It´s all one tango where some dancers do push the envelope. BTW, someone quoted recently Federico Naveira as saying "...there is no nuevo...". He should know - I doubt his parents lied to him :-) . As recent posters as well as some in the past brought up, back sacadas, colgadas and so on were here in the early days of tango. What I would hazard to submit is that such moves were mostly choreographed, that the minority who actually led them were not able to explain or teach what they did and, in some cases, kept it to the vest as a "trade secret".
When this group lead by Gustavo Naveira started the investigation ( translation into English is not mine) of tango they applied the laws of mechanics to develop an understanding of the actions of the moving bodies and created a unified rational base that allowed to explain and teach all that existed and provided tools for further exploration. To the best my knowledge they never claimed having invented anything. But what they accomplished was the knowledge revolution in tango - IMHO.
Jan
PART 2 follows