[Tango-L] Re, PART 2: The Definition of Tango Nuevo (1 of 2)

jb34528@att.net jb34528 at att.net
Sun Jan 3 18:51:41 EST 2010

PART 2
What took some 10-15 years more as the interest/clientelle developed was a necessity to provide dance venues - the "practicas" were born. From the modest beginnings I remember was the Gustavo´s (true) practica at 444 Cochabamba, then Practica X, (and since there was someone just asking where the young & "nuevoistas" hang out, so) Villa Malcolm practicas on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, generally ending at 2-4AM and La Viruta. What I have been noticing very recently is that the defining factor is the dancers´ age resulting in milonga codigos being replaced by a common courtesy (and common sense!) with dancers carefully avoiding expansive moves when the floor is getting crowded. The driving force behind attendance is the search for one´s peer group rather than "nuevo". Another result is that it is becoming the average age that determines the rules with the "practica" cover no longer needed. The most recent examples are the Milonga 10 and Milonga Loca. Did practice high voleos, colgadas and piernazos, e.g., in all of the above venues withou being asked to leave. The secret - it was mostly at the very beginning or the end when sharing the dance floor with mere 2-4 couples.
As to the rights of the "true tango" community, I just can repeat myself from an earlier post - the milonga organizer determines and enforces the the dancing style.
Jan